The Fyre Festival Fraud – Explaining False Advertising to Ja Rule – Ep 69
On the heels of the Fyre Festival documentaries, Matt and Tony dive into the history of scams and “false advertising”. They then transition into some interesting tidbits about current lawsuits directed toward the Fyre Festival and Billy McFarland. Stay tuned to find out the guys’ opinions on Ja Rule, the Fyre Festival production staff and Fuck Jerry.
- [07:28] – Samuel Hopkins Adams
- [09:58] – Before 1958 you could pretty much say anything in advertisements
- [11:55] – Fatty Arbuckle, the first endorser of cigarettes
- [20:03] – The Cigarette Labeling Act
- [21:46] – The Listerine lawsuit
- [27:48] – 2009 – Bloggers must site who they’re getting paid from
- [30:54] – Herbalife’s 220 million dollar law suit
- [32:22] – Two Fyre Festival attendee’s awarded 5 million dollars each
- [34:50] – Ja Rule’s involvement in Fyre Festival
- [37:54] – Puffery
The Takeaway – Influencers and advertisers must be held accountable for their false claims.
Hollywood Improv Ticket Link: