The World’s Oldest Profession – Should Prostitution Be Legal? – Ep 81
Prostitution, the oldest profession in the world is the topic of today’s show. Matt and Tony are going to be discussing it’s origins, the laws surrounding it both past and present, it’s financial impact, the health and safety of prostitutes and some hilarious other tidbits that most people probably don’t know, about turning tricks.
- The ancient Greeks and Romans mandated that prostitutes wear specific clothing and pay large taxes
- In old France, prostitution profits were shared with French Universities
- In NYC in the early 1900’s there were 200 active brothels and 75% of the cities male population had Venereal Disease
- The origins of the terms “Hooker” and “Red Light District”
- Comstock Law and The May Act
- 10 of 17 counties in Nevada have legal prostitution
- John’s School
- Paying for sex is a 16 billion dollar industry
The Takeaway – Most prostitution laws were put into effect because of the huge amount of STD’s that were being transmitted; it wasn’t necessarily based on the moral implications of paying for sex.
Hollywood Improv Ticket Link: